In this guide I will go through what is required to configure your Mcafee Epolicy 5.5 or 5.1 server to deploy agents and software. I will break down the basic steps of how to deploy the following. These are basic click here and tick this guides but will get your system up and running quickly.
- Deploy Mcafee Agent with Epolicy Orchestrator
- Deploy VirusScan Enterprise with Epolicy Orchestrator
- Import software into Epolicy Orchestrator
- How to import Management Agents with Epolicy Orchestrator
Deploy Mcafee Agent with Epolicy Orchestrator
This is the main component within your Mcafee Epolicy Orchestrator environment, you need the agent deploy to any client or server that you would like to manage, deploy software to, update and monitor. This is the first task that must be complete before we can do any of the below.
From the Management Console;
1. Select Menu > Systems > System Tree, select the groups or systems where you want to deploy the Mcafee Agent to, these can be OUs from Active Directory.
2. Then select Actions > Agent > Deploy Agents.
Select the Agent version you would like to deploy from the drop‑down list.
Select the following options:
• Install only on systems that do not already have an agent managed by this ePO server.
• Force installation over existing version – this will make sure you have the same version on all devices.
We also need to configure the below so that we can actually install the agent with the correct users permissions.
- To change the installation path from the default, enter the target path in the installation path option.
- Enter you domain name, User name, and Password into the correct fields.
- Select OK, the task is then added to the server task log.
With this complete we can now look at installing software to the Mcafee repository so we can deploy.
Add Software to Mcafee Epolicy Repository
In this section we add the software that you are licensed to use into the Mcafee Epolicy repository. First make sure you pull down your software from the download section of Mcafees site and use your NAI number. Below we import VirusScan Enterprise and install the management agents, the process is the same for all Mcafee software.
- Select Menu > Software Manager > Software (by Label) > Endpoint Security > VirusScan 8.x.
- Then browse to where you downloaded the Mcafee software to and select the zip file accordingly.
That`s it, a very simply process but we need the management agents to actually be able to configure.
Install Management Extensions into Mcafee Epolicy Orchestrator
When you download the software you will also need to download the management agents as a separate download. We then add them with the following process.
- Menus > Software > Extensions.
- Browse to the zip file you downloaded and the import.
You can now deploy the software you have imported, repeat this process for any software that you would like to deploy with Mcafee Epolicy Orchestrator.
Deploy VirusScan Enterprise with Epolicy Orchestrator
Each piece of software you deploy with Mcafee Epolicy Orchestrator requires an Installation Task and a Deployment Task. The installation task sets how you would like the software configured, while the deployment task is where and how you actually want the software deployed.
Create VirusScan Installation Task
- Select Menu > Policy > then Client Task Catalogue.
- We then select New Task.
- For Task Types, select “Product Deployment”.
- Give it a sensible task name such as Install Virus Scan Enterprise.
- Choose the OS platform you are deploying to.
- Products and components, Select VirusScan Enterprise 8.x from the pull down menu, Action, change it to “Install”.
- Options, check “Run at every policy enforcement.
- Postpone Deployment, DO NOT SELECT, (or users will be able to stop deployment).
Now that we have our installation task created we have to create a deployment task to actually get the software onto your clients. THis task will run during the standard policy refresh period.
Create VirusScan Deployment Task
- Menu > Systems > Systems Tree.
- Select the group that you require.
- Then choose the “Assigned Client Tasks” tab, we then select the installation task we created above (Install Virus Scan Enterprise).
- Actions > New Client Task Assignment.
- Task to Schedule, Product set to VirusScan 8.x, Change the Task Type this time to Product Deployment, Task Name set to Install Virus Scan Enterprise.
- Set the lock the task inheritance to unlocked.
- Next > configure the schedule to your needs > Next > Save.
You may have other Mcafee packages that you would like to deploy such as the MOVE client and the Offload server. The process is exactly the same, import the software and management agents, create the installation task and then create the deployment task.